The fort has been the seat of power for more than 300 years. After independence fort served as the Administrative Head Quarters for the legislative assembly of Tamil Nadu for the past 53 years (Since 1947).
The Fort St. George has served as the Administrative Head Quarters for the legislative assembly of Tamilnadu State for the past 73 years.
13-03-2010 is really an important date in the history of Tamilnadu on which the grand new Legislative Assembly and the Secretariat was inaugurated by Dr.Manmohan Singh the Prime Minister of India in the presence of Dr.Kalaignar Karunanithi the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu at the Government Estate, Chennai. It has four circular buildings of diminishing size.
The biggest of the four buildings will be the public flage to which people will have free access; in future it will be turned into yet another place of tourist importance. It should be mentioned that the budget session was held on 18-03-2010 and the budget for the 2010-2011 was submitted the new Assembly House.